A new mom who almost died after contracting MRSA claims her life was saved by copper pajamas.
Gemma Wilbys incredible recovery has surprised hospital consultants and they are putting together a clinical trial on the use of infused copper clothing.
Gemma, 30, was diagnosed with the flesh-eating virus several days after having a caesarean section for her son, Alfie, last September.
Despite emergency surgery and a daily cocktail of medications, her MRSA could not be put under control – and she was warned she could die.
But family friend Ambre McCleary, 18, a student in forensic psychology at Portsmouth University put her science education to use and approached inventor Paula Ward to come up with the Copper PJs.Gemma, of Caterham, said: “I honestly believe that I owe my life to the PCs. I think hospitals from top to bottom of the country should make clothes and compulsory copper bedding infused. ”
And, more than a year from her terrifying ordeal at the hospital, Gemma believes her story could revolutionize the fight against antibiotic-resistant super-bacteria.
Gemma, who lives with her partner, Mark Minick, 31, says, “My Caesarean scar spread 10 inches from hip to hip and I was in excruciating pain. I had no idea the gravity things had gotten – but the strong smell of rotting flesh made me realize something was wrong “.Barmaid Gemma agreed to surgery at the hospital last October. says: “Amber brought me copper pajamas, bedding, socks and a dress.
“It was incredible. The nurses took swabs from my belly and a few days after wearing copper clothes, they came back negative. They could not believe it. The infection disappeared and the open wound decreased. ”
After Gemma makes a full recovery, Amber and the Copper Clothing team brings together five leading consultants from the Advisory Board of Medical Specialists. The consultants were surprised and are putting forward four products for the trial ethics committee at Croydon Hospital.
Obstetrician consultant Abdul Sultan said, “This garment can have the potential to make a real difference in treatment.”
Source: Mirror News 01 Dec 2013